Saturday, October 2, 2010

Larger than life.

Road sign on the freeway
Hola, everyone! This last weekend I went with my program to the most northwestern province of Jujuy (look HERE) (Hoo--Hoowee) from Thursday until late Sunday. This province is nestled around the base of the Andes Mountains on the borders of both Bolivia and Chile. I would like to say I have a lot to say here, but there are few words I can use to describe the intensity and beauty of landscapes of the region.

I will say however that it took 2 hours by plane and 3 by bus to get to our cabanas nearly 2 miles above sea level in the puebla of Tilcara (got burned pretty good by the sun that high). The environment is very dry--so it gets very hot during the day and cold at night. Most of the houses constructed there are made of adobe and are constructed attached to one another (similar to what can be characterized as Mexican architecture). The bus ride was amazing because it was a vertical ascent up a mountain which took us through the clouds. I couldn't help but keep thinking about Misery during the ride however, where James Caan flips off the side of the road and gets 'rescued" by Kathy Bates, but anyway...

Fun Fact: Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid was actually filmed primarily in Argentina--I did not know that.
Different from Sonoran cactus, but very cool.

Took this on the bus when we were covered in clouds.

Check it out!


The ground is like this for miles.



Unbelievebly bright outside
man-made pools to form usable/consumible salt

We met these guys along the way--here they are drinking beer at least 80 feet above the next flat surface.

At one point, each mountain contained 7 colors a piece

Shot this at the end of the hike--what a rewarding view!


Moving on, we spent a great deal of Friday visiting ancient ruins of a native settlement around the time of the Incas--which was miraculously preserved despite the rampant and brutal takeover at the hands of the Spanish hundreds of years ago and on Saturday, we took an absolutely stunning hike into the mountains and a visit to the great salinas or salt flats. I was most impressed by the salinas not only because they are so striking, but because the surrounding area looks like someone placed a large square over the earth and hit the "delete" button--it's a very strange area that was once covered by the ocean. Again, I think I will end here, these pics are gorgeous.
Half my program--notice I am front and center. Alright!


P.S. I have a real treat for next weekend, here is a hint: it starts with an "O" and ends in "Ktoberfest".  I will be going to the beautiful city of Cordoba to celebrate BEER<

P.P.S. (P.S.S.??) The students at UBA are STILL on strike--we'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment