Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Times, They Are A Changin'


Alright, I'm here.
Once again, the concept of time continues to amaze me. I have been here for only three days and much has changed. Three days isn't a lot of time, but then again, there need not be a lot of time to create change.

Normally, I would not spend time on something as trivial as a plane ride, but I will mention that if the child that found it necessary to ring the service button constantly for the better half of 10 hours, ever reads this particular post, all I have to say is: Yes, the button works.

Anyway, by the time I arrived in Ezeiza (E-zee-zah)International Airport outside Buenos Aires, I had already met four people that are currently in the same program as me--which was a nice starting point for the following day of orientation. We were all dragging hard-core by the time we arrived at the hotel and proceeded to crash in our repsective rooms for the day. Orientation began the next morning at the office that the program owns, which is only a few blocks from our hotel. As it turns out, there are like, over 100 other people here--mostly juniors. The first day as you can imagine, could only be described as trying to shove 10-pounds of crap in a 2-pound bag: We were given vast amounts of information in a fairly rapid succession in a foreign language--only a bit stressful. However, we were told (much to many peoples' surprise) that we would be moving in with our familias that evening.

But, that didn't didn't happen and we had our passports stolen by the cleaning staff...just kidding, tee hee. Actually, my familia arrived a little before eight in the evening, and I was very excited to finally meet them--but it was just the mother and her daughter. We XOXO'd and exchanged smiles while walking to their car. See, it's a bit interesting because I'm technically the mother's kid, but the daughter also has one from the same program who lives next door to me--so the whole family is involved. Their home is a beautiful apartment complex located in a central area of the city on a very busy and commercial "avenida". The building is 4 stories and it's inhabited by my host mother/father and their two children/their children. My host parents are a bit older (like 60's) and have been doing this exchange program for roughly a decade. I will elaborate on them more sometime later.

Before I log-off for the evening, I should probably describe my room--which is where I am writing from now. It's definitely the most interesting location I have ever inhabited because it's on the roof overlooking the street. It's actually a very cool guest house connected by a large patio which leads inside the building. I have my own bathroom and (obviously) internet service--pretty sweet deal. Oh, and the entire building is attached to a restaurant just below me--midnight munchies anyone?

I have some pics of the house...nighty night.

No comments:

Post a Comment