Thursday, July 29, 2010

Welcome to the Jungle


It's been a few days since I last posted and I am alive and well--there may have been dropped program ID card, some misguided navigation, and a near amputation by subway doors in-between, but as Kevin Bacon said at the end of Animal House: all is well.

I believe that I left off somewhere in the ballpark of getting my new lodgings and meeting my family (who are by-the-way, really funny and awesome people). Anyway, obviously I am here to "study". In order to do that, I need to be able to get to the class locations throughout the city, which requires me to use one of Buenos Aires' three main forms of transportation: Subte (subway) Collectivo (bus) and Taxi (take a guess). Fortunately, I am very close to a sub line that makes walking distance reasonable. Unfortunately, without any pre-existing education of the transit system, it can only be described as a mondo-CF. The subway I ride goes directly to the congress building and is the oldest line in service (cars still consist of wood paneling). The first weekday that I used the subte, I found a new meaning to the term "packed". Whereas I used to believe that a"packed" space meant having little room to maneuver or move, I know identitify with "packed" as being unable to move and literally suspended above the floor in a sea of people who literally squeeze each other to get a place. On a positive not, if you have always wanted to feel what stage diving is like, this is as close as you will ever get. Oh yeah, and on the same day, only two stops before mine, a roughly 70 year-old man entered and struck me in the chest so that he could have some more room for his wrinkly cheeks--awesome.

When I get off, from the congress building I walk roughly 10 blocks to the program HQ where classes are held as well. The walk I take everyday is on a very, very busy avenue with a multitude of shops, stands, and restaurants. Traffic is pretty wild to say the least. Honestly, I'm not sure how traffic law is enforced, but it seems that the system works for them. It also is a very noisy place, buses, trucks, and bikes with crappy mufflers are everywhere--Nascar fans, enjoy. Also, a note to visitors: It's a good idea to pay attention and stay on the sidewalks. It is exceedingly easy to get flattened by a bus or zippy taxi if you aern't paying much attention or admiring many of the Argentine babes.

Attention, is a key concept. There is a great deal to look at and enjoy, but one has to definitely have their wits about them. Not only is traffic a factor, but pick pocketers and thieves are definitely on the prowl for some gringo dough. Whether on the subte or taking photos casually on the sidewalk, there always may be a chance for a quick grab-and-go. Granted, all large cities have this problem, but Buenos Aires is particularly known for these things. Bottom line: watch out for Hot Hands McGee and keep your stuff with you at all times.

I got some more stuff for tomorrow--I walked quite a few miles today and could use a little rest. I have some more pics that I will post too.

No comments:

Post a Comment